Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Chayote (Bangalore Kathrikkai) Pachadi

Is it time to put the tomato, eggplants and karela plants outside? It is still a little cold at night not exactly chilly but maybe I will wait a couple more weeks.

Gardening is a calming experience just like meditation. I almost never buy karela (pavarkai) in the stores anymore I wait for summer so I can get some fresh ones from my garden. Same with eggplants they taste so much better minus the pesticides.

I have often looked at the fresh Chayotes in the grocery stores and wondered what I can used it for besides making sambhar? And then I came across this recipe and it has become a quick and easy one. A variation could be done with raw mangoes but leave out the tamarind pulp.



Chayote Pachadi
This is a slight variation from a recipe I read in Aval Vikatan. Ofcourse Viktan is on the web.


Ingredients
Chayote - 2 (peeled seeded and grated)
a lemon size tamarind, soaked and get the pulp
green chillies slit
onion (1/2 small diced)
garlic 2 diced
coriander powder (1/2 tbsp)
cumin powder (1/4 tbsp)
chilly powder (1/4 tbsp)
turmeric powder(1/4 tbsp)

seasoning
oil, mustard, cumin, curry leaves

Method:
1. Take about a teaspoo of oil in a pan, season with the seasoning mentioned.
2. Fry the onions till translucent.
3. add the garlic and fry a little bit and then the chillies
4. Add all the powders and mix well
5. Add the grated chayote squash and salt, mix and fry for a few minutes
6. Add the tamarind juice and close the pan and cook till the squash is cooked.

Goes well with rice, chappathis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.