Sunday, June 8, 2008

Simple Thayir Pachadi (Spiced Yogurt)

Subscribe to Daily Musings Feed:

We are in the midst of a heat wave with temperature over 90F with some oppresive humidity, makes it feel like 105F, expected to continue till mid week. Slaving in front of the stove for a long time is not appealing. A quick dal rice (arism paruppu saatham) with a side of some cooling yogurt is the perfect meal. It always comes in handy to have a few recipes of spiced yogurt. This is one such recipe that my mom makes every now and then. It goes well with any spiced rice or even dosai and chapathi even.

Also realized once again, how technology is involved in every bit of our lives. This was brought to sharp focus when we have a bad storm and lost power for about 8 hours. Inability to blog and check emails was what hurt me most. What did I do? Went for a walk around the neighborhood, had dinner by the candle light which thrilled the kids to bits but sadly there was precious little that could be done without power. But the realization was a jolt. I grew up in a time when there was no 24 hrs TV and no internet. I shudder to think about the lives of the kids growing up now sorrounded by all this technology. I also spent some time pondering over the deeper meaning of life. It might be a good thing to do this voluntarily perhaps.


    Green Earth
    Mulching heralds the arrival of Spring with a bevy of activity - covering up every available area of exposed dirt. What was done to protect the roots of hardy plants for the winter is now an activity done without a second thought. Mulching the right amount makes for healthier plants but reapplication as soon as the sun bleaches the old mulch results in excessive mulch layers that harms plants. The best mulch is yard waste - partially rotted leaves.

    One clear result of the demand for mulch is the clear cutting of Louisian's coastal baldcypress forests. Mulch Mania if left unchecked in addition to harming plants would destroy our forests.
    Source: Washington Post

Ingredients
1. 1 1/2 Cups of Yogurt (whisk and add a bit of water if too thick)
2. 1/4 Medium red onion chopped
3. 1 green chili chopped (optional)
4. 1/2 cucumber chopped
5. 1/2 tomato chopped fine
6. a few beet leaves (any green works here, spinach, chard)
7. 1/2 carrot grated
8. few mustard seeds
9. a pinch cumin powder


Photobucket


Method
1. Heat oil, pop mustard seeds and saute the onion, green chilies, tomatoes and the beet leaves.
2. When ready to turn of the heat add the cumin powder
3. Cool the mixture add the yogurt, cucumber and carrot
4. Season with salt mix and serve

Other Spiced Yogurt recipes:
Bell Pepper and Zucchini Raita

14 comments:

  1. ehmm..looks lovely indo...must've been exciting to have this!

    btw send this to Siri's Frozen yogurt event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of the frequent power outages we used to have growing up in India. It used to be a fun time with the family and indeed a time to ponder over meaning of life.

    The pachadi is almost similar to what I make at home, except adding greens is new. Very wholesome and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pachadi, ISG! It's almost like mixing a curry or a bhaji with yogurt (which is what I do quite often!). The heat was really oppressive yesterday, wasn't it? Today was slightly better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thayir pacchadi.As you said, goes with any variety rice.We make this coconut, a perfect combo for our sambhar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely mixed veggie pachadi, ISG. I can do this tmo with my fridge veggies, maybe a thinning of chard too. See my latest post for some more of your mystery gourds..... :)

    I agree -- why not give up the tv and the 'net for a day. When I go for vacation to Michigan I never log on. I am grateful I don't own a laptop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A coling pachadi is perfect for warm summers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am craving this coooool pachadi right this minute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had 100F for whole weekend and whole week will be 98+F. Unfortunately for me, I have to cook everyday, waiting to take a blog break soon!!:D
    Just got a whole bunch of red chard,must make this Pachadi, looks good Indo. All the gourds are very well in this heat, glad for that. Kids are off school on Wednesday, more work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the thayir pachadi.
    This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We get so used to the creature comforts that we enjoy....I was not able to use the internet yesterday 'coz I was so caught up with other stuff to do......and I felt so lost...the first thing I did as soon as I woke up this morning is logon to the net...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pachadi looks so good. So colorful. Cool. Nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous pachadi, Indo! We've been in the midst of this heat wave as well. Can't wait for it to get back into the 80s! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thats really true indo. we come from a country where its common to have powercuts without any notice and now i cant think of living w/o electricty(especially internet;). may be its a time to sit back and think!
    raita looks delish... i am one of those yogurt freak and cant finish my meal w/o yogurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the thayir pachadi....anytime anywhere welcome

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.