Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Guacamole - Avocado,onion and tomato salad

I bet every immigrant understands this feeling of acute longing for home (country) some time or the other, triggered by sights, smells or an image. Mine was brought on last week when I was listening to a conversation on PBS. Charlie Rose was interviewing P.Chidamabaram and I chanced on it by accident while channel surfing. Maybe it was something he said or seeing a very familiar face on TV here I don't know which I felt this yearning to pack up and go home. If you were to judge him only by his interview he comes across as sincere, articulate and suave. India can stand proud (not).

It is amazing how he talked about corruption in India with a straight face. He is a politician after all and also part of the problem. The wealth he has amassed might be rivaled only by his boss - the madam from Italy.

That was that everyday details interfered and I forgot about that.

Now to the recipe of the day,

Hard to imagine I have spent a good portion of my life here in the US running away from Avocado. As for guacamole it just did not look appetizing enough. Like with everything else in life stuff happens. There was a period in my life when I was hooked on to Chipotle food that is when Guacamole became palatable enough and now I am actually quite fond of it, the homemade version that is.

It is a very easy condiment to make and is a great side for burritos or quesadillas and also for corn chips. Good enough to skip the store bought salsa and sour cream. I like the guacamole to have just enough avocado but feel free to add more if you like it more creamy. For people like me who are not fond of raw onion, the lime juice takes the pungency out.

Is Avocado available in India? By that I mean is it grown there? Just curious?

Guacamole - Avocado, Onion and Tomato Salad
Preparation Time:30 minutes
Ingredients
  1. 1/2 White Onion (Red works fine too) about 1 cup chopped fine
  2. Grape tomatoes cut into 4s about 1 cup cut
  3. 1 -2 Avocadoes (do not cut it till you are ready to add it to the onion tomato mixture)
  4. 1 tbsp chopped pickled jalapenos
  5. juice from 1 -2 limes
  6. 1/4 tsp salt
  7. 2-3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Method
  1. Combine the tomatoes and onions with the lime juice and let it sit for 20 -25 minutes. Longer the better.
  2. Cut the avocado in half, use the sharp end of the knife to pick out the stone, remove the flesh and mash it as smooth or coarse as you like. We like it with a few chunks.
  3. Add in the chopped jalapenos, salt and coriander leaves. Give a good mix and the guacamole is ready.
  4. Note: Mix the avocado as close to your eating time as possible to avoid discoloration.

6 comments:

  1. Avocado is called as Butterfruit in India...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raji. I had no idea. Good to know.

      Delete
  2. It took me a while to start liking avocados too.. but I had it as a milkshake when studying in singapore and then it grew on me. Now, I love it. This guacamole looks great.. easy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My all time favourite guacamole, love it anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It grows in the Nilgiris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love avocados. In fact I am so much in love with it these days that I can eat them with squeeze of lime, salt and red chilli flakes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.