Monday, February 19, 2018

Spicy Goat (Lamb) Liver Stir Fry (Pirattal )

I turned on the TV like I always do while cooking and saw the now familiar sight on TV kids running with their hands in the air. Yes! I flung something against the kitchen sink in frustration and then muttered a few choice words in my head that I would say to Marco Rubio and politicians like him with their empty words if I ever saw them in person and then felt a chill up and down my spine with the sad acceptance that nothing is going to be done by these guys in Congress who value their money from the NRA and corporations more than anything else.

But the cynic in me took a short take when I saw how the students of the high school are just not giving up and taking the empty words from these pols. Let's stand with these kids with our support and prayers. Read this article Calling B.S. in Parkland, Florida.

Enough of my outrage, now on to the recipe,

Liver is good for people who have anemia I knew from reading. I visited the doctor a few years ago to check my sudden feelings of tiredness sometimes right in the morning after a good nights sleep and a good breakfast. Some tests later the doctor advised me to get myself some iron tablets and some more iron in the diet. Iron tablets make me hungry and uncontrollable eating of junk food follows. So to avoid this I looked to add iron in the diet. Red Meat, Spinach, lentils, black turtle beans, liver, dates, chickpeas are all foods that are good sources of iron.

While eating red meat everyday is not my cup of tea, literally because I don't drink tea either, eating liver every other week seemed like a good compromise. I have also heard that eating too much liver is not good either. Do not use any of what I am saying here as substitute for doctor's advice please. These are things that work for me and they might not be the right ones for you or your health.

Well anyway, while chicken liver is easier to find than goat liver, goat liver does not fall apart while cooking and a bit more tastier methinks. They are cooked with the right amount of spices to season the liver and that is it. It has to be hot to cut through all the fat though.



Saute the onions, garlic and ginger along with the spices and tomatoes.
Add in the washed liver and saute on medium flame till the desired consistency is reached.




Spicy Goat Liver Stir Fry
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients
  1. 1 lb of goat liver
  2. 1/2 cup of shallots or red onions chopped
  3. 6 garlic cloves minced
  4. 8-10 green chilies slit
  5. 1 tomato chopped fine (optional)
  6. 1 tbsp ginger grated
  7. 1 tsp red chili powder or pepper powder to taste
  8. 1/2 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp coriander powder or 1 tsp curry powder
  9. 1 tsp oil
  10. seasonings: mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and curry leaves
  11. salt to taste

Method
  1. Wash the liver and drain the water completely and set aside. If you want sprinkle some turmeric powder and set aside.
  2. In a wide mouthed pan, heat oil and add the seasonings and curry leaves.
  3. Add the onions and saute till they start to brown. Add in the garlic and ginger and saute for a couple of minutes.
  4. Add in the chili, cumin and coriander powders and mix it in.
  5. Add tomatoes and salt and saute till they become mushy and completely broken down.
  6. Add in the liver and cook for 6-10 minutes by mixing gently. Turn off the heat when the required consistency has been reached.


Like what you are reading? Subscribe!

2 comments:

  1. I can't even comment on the first part of your post -- it makes me so sad and angry to think about :( The liver however -- I will invite myself to your place for that since I could never cook it here :) Hope all is well ISG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you. Welcome anytime.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate you taking the time.
Comments embedded with links, spam and in poor taste will not be published.